Saturday 29 July 2017

Book Review: Proof of Forever by Lexa Hillyer

Book: Proof of Forever
Author: Lexa Hillyer
Genres: YA Contemporary (with a slight sci-fi element)

Before: It was the perfect summer of first kisses, skinny-dipping, and bonfires by the lake. Joy, Tali, Luce, and Zoe knew their final summer at Camp Okahatchee would come to an end, but they swore they’d stay friends. 
After: Now, two years later, their bond has faded along with those memories. 
Then: That is, until the fateful flash of a photo booth camera transports the four of them back in time, to the summer they were fifteen—the summer everything changed. 
Now: The girls must recreate the past in order to return to the present. As they live through their second-chance summer, the mystery behind their lost friendship unravels, and a dark secret threatens to tear the girls apart all over again. 
Always: Summers end. But this one will change them forever.


My Rating: 4/5 STARS

My Review:
I hadn't heard much talk of this book before I read it so I didn't know what to expect from it.  All I knew was the synopsis which had two of my favourite things to read about in it.  Time travel and friendship.  These are the main themes of Proof of Forever, so I knew I had to read it for that alone.

The book is told from the point of view of 4 girls who used to be best friends but have now grown apart.  At a summer camp reunion something happens to them and they find themselves transported two years into the past, to their last week together at summer camp.  

I fell in love with the idea of this book.  Like I said before, this book had two of my favourite things in it so the story really sucked me in and held my attention.

I really liked the writing and the plot of Proof of Forever.  It was very interesting to me and I found the story to be really emotional as well.  I liked that it had all 4 girls povs and I really liked reading about each one and seeing how they were all dealing with different things in their lives.  I think the writing flowed very nicely and a lot of the book was quotable.

Although there is the main focus on the friendship between the girls, there is a lot of the story where they are doing their own things and I would've preferred to see more of them together with each other.  The girls also had some love interests and it felt to me that a lot of the love interests sounded similar to one another.  I also would've preferred less focus on the love interests and more (like I said before) on the girls' friendship.

Overall I really liked this book.  It's a great story about second chances and friendship.  I enjoyed the writing and thought the story was very emotional.  I would really recommend reading it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment