Monday 14 May 2018

Book Review: The Exact Opposite of Okay by Laura Steven

Book: The Exact Opposite of Okay
Author: Laura Steven
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Feminism

Izzy O'Neill here! Impoverished orphan, aspiring comedian and Slut Extraordinaire, if the gossip sites are anything to go by . . . 
Izzy never expected to be eighteen and internationally reviled. But when explicit photos involving her, a politician's son and a garden bench are published online, the trolls set out to take her apart. Armed with best friend Ajita and a metric ton of nachos, she tries to laugh it off - but as the daily slut-shaming intensifies, she soon learns the way the world treats teenage girls is not okay. It's the Exact Opposite of Okay. - Quoted from Goodreads

My Rating: 5/5 STARS

My Review: 
I loved The Exact Opposite of Okay and it's now one of my favourite books of the year.

This book is about Izzy who has had her privacy violated when pictures of her having sex with a senators son go viral.  This book is about the double standards in society and how the world treats young girls.

I loved Izzy so much.  Her humour is exactly the kind of humour I get and love, it made me laugh so many times throughout this book.  Izzy is a teenager who likes to have sex.  I know that shouldn't be a shocker but considering a lot of YA books out there, it kind of is.  As much as I love YA, there is definitely a lack of female characters who embrace their own sexuality and are confident about it so it was really refreshing to read about a character like Izzy.

Izzy is such a strong character and that's why it was heart breaking to read her having doubts about herself.  From the very beginning of The Exact Opposite of Okay Izzy is sure of her decisions and knows she did nothing wrong but because of the pressure of other people's judgement she does start to doubt herself and I felt so angry at the characters in this book who made her feel that way.

I loved Ajita and Izzy's friendship.  I liked how they supported each other and I loved their witty banter with each other.  I love books about strong female friendships and The Exact Opposite of Okay is one of them.  I also liked Izzy's relationship with her grandmother, it was an interesting relationship dynamic.  

Overall I loved this book.  Izzy is an unforgettable character and The Exact Opposite of Okay makes you really question things that need to be questioned.  There is many different topics raised in this book and it really leaves a lasting impression on you.  The writing is very quotable and I would highly recommend reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment