Friday 18 May 2018

Friday Book Excerpts: Omens by Kelley Armstrong

Today I'll be sharing some book excerpts with these bookish features:
Book Beginnings is a weekly feature (hosted by Rose City Reader) where you post the first sentence of the book you're currently reading. 
The Friday 56 is a weekly feature (hosted by Freda's Voice) where you get a book and turn to page 56 (or 56% on ereader) then post a interesting sentence from that page with no spoilers. 


Omens (Cainsville book 1) by Kelley Armstrong

Blurb:
Twenty-four-year-old Olivia Taylor Jones has the perfect life. The only daughter of a wealthy, prominent Chicago family, she has an Ivy League education, pursues volunteerism and philanthropy, and is engaged to a handsome young tech firm CEO with political ambitions.

But Olivia’s world is shattered when she learns that she’s adopted. Her real parents? Todd and Pamela Larsen, notorious serial killers serving a life sentence. When the news brings a maelstrom of unwanted publicity to her adopted family and fiancé, Olivia decides to find out the truth about the Larsens.

Olivia ends up in the small town of Cainsville, Illinois, an old and cloistered community that takes a particular interest in both Olivia and her efforts to uncover her birth parents’ past.

Aided by her mother’s former lawyer, Gabriel Walsh, Olivia focuses on the Larsens’ last crime, the one her birth mother swears will prove their innocence. But as she and Gabriel start investigating the case, Olivia finds herself drawing on abilities that have remained hidden since her childhood, gifts that make her both a valuable addition to Cainsville and deeply vulnerable to unknown enemies. Because there are darker secrets behind her new home and powers lurking in the shadows that have their own plans for her.


Beginning:
Prologue - Eden crawled into the living room, the rough carpet burning her chubby knees and hands.  As boots slapped the hall floor, she went still, holding her breath. Had he heard her?

Friday 56:
I needed to make choices for me, whoever I was.  I'd say I needed to find myself, if that didn't sound like I was heading into the Himalayas, taking only a backpack stuffed with angst and clean underwear. 


My Thoughts:
I first read Omens a few years ago and recently I decided to reread it to refresh myself on the details of it before I continue with the rest of the series.  The first lines are intriguing and make you wonder: Why's she hiding? And who exactly is he


Have you read Omens? What do you think of the excerpts from it?

4 comments:

  1. I have this on my GR list! Happy Victoria day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I haven't started this series, but I really ought to. :)

    ReplyDelete