Thursday 26 October 2017

Book Review: Warcross (Warcross #1) by Marie Lu

Book: Warcross
Series: Warcross book 1
Author: Marie Lu
Genre: YA, sci-fi

For the millions who log in every day, Warcross isn't just a game - it's a way of life. Struggling to make ends meet, teenage hacker Emika Chen works as a bounty hunter, tracking down players who bet on the game illegally. Needing to make some quick cash, Emika takes a risk and hacks into the opening game of the international Warcross Championships - only to accidentally glitch herself into the action and become an overnight sensation. 
Convinced she's going to be arrested, Emika is shocked when she gets a call from the game's creator, the elusive young billionaire Hideo Tanaka, with an irresistible offer. He needs a spy on the inside of this year's tournament in order to uncover a security problem . . . and he wants Emika for the job. Emika's whisked off to Tokyo and thrust into a world of fame and fortune that she's only dreamed of. But soon her investigation uncovers a sinister plot, with major consequences for the entire Warcross empire. ~ Quoted from Goodreads

My Rating: 4/5 STARS

My Review:
I've been excited for Warcross since it was announced so I'm very glad I enjoyed it. I can hardly believe that Marie Lu has now wrote three different series in three different genres and somehow I've liked every one of them.

Warcross is set in a futuristic sci-fi world where everyone is obsessed with a virtual reality game called Warcross.  The book is about a skilled hacker named Emika who, after accidently glitching herself into a Warcross game, ends up being recruited by the maker of the game.

I loved the concept of this book and the way the world of Warcross was described.  I liked the Warcross world because it was so easy to imagine. The technology wasn't confusing at all, it just felt like a more better and improved version of today's technology and I really liked that because it was easy to picture in my head.  

I like Emika's character and her backstory.  Even though we only see her father through the flashbacks and her backstory, I thought he was a really interesting character and I liked reading about their relationship with each other.  I thought the other characters were great, especially the other Warcross players.  They seem like a bunch of complex characters and I liked reading about their interactions with each other but I do wish we had've seen more of the interactions.  

What I didn't really like about the book was the romance.  I thought it seemed forced and I found it to be flat and not believable.
Even though I did think the major plot twists were predictable I still found the general storyline to be interesting and thought it was action packed.

Overall I think it's a good thrilling read.  I didn't like the romance and found parts to be predictable but I would still recommend reading it because the world of Warcross is exciting.  I can't wait to read the next/concluding book because I've found Marie Lu's series always pack an emotional punch in the last books so I'm looking forward to that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment